Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Yum Yum Balls




These are the quickest, easiest, yummy dessert bites ever. The recipe is thanks to my Cadbury's Dessert Recipe book that a friend gave me after she visited me in Dunedin, NZ and toured the Cadbury's factory there.


I recently made these for my friend Carroll's surprise graduation party (YAY CARROLL!!). They took less than 30 min to make, they chilled while I was at work, then I carted them off to be enjoyed J


So, although there are only four ingredients, looking for these may be more effort than actually making this dessert. These are staples in NZ supermarkets, however some may be harder to find in US grocery stores. Anyway, here goes:
2 c crushed Maria biscuits cookies
(You can find these in the Spanish food section of the grocery store. I dump them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin)
1 c unsweetened coconut flakes, plus extra
(I have never seen this at a regular grocery store. If you do, let me know! I buy this at the George St Co-Op in New Brunswick)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tin sweetened condensed milk

Method: Put first three ingredients in a bowl and mix. Add the condensed milk and stir until all combined. If the mixture is too wet add a little more cocoa powder (like a tsp or so). Roll spoonfuls into balls and coat with extra coconut flakes. I put the extra coconut flakes in a bowl, and dump the balls in there and roll them around till coated. Chill until ready to be served. Done. That's it. Seriously. Easy.

Variations: Actually, my Grandma used to make these, and she would add 1 tsp brandy essence and call them brandy balls. So, I guess you could add any flavor you like and experiment with taste! Bon Appetit!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks Ruth!!! They are delicious! I was thinking about them when I was commuting today. :) SO happy to have the recipe and thanks for making them!! :)

    ReplyDelete