Thursday, February 24, 2011

CHILI

Hi everyone,

Today I will be sharing the best chili recipe that I've ever made!

INGREDIENTS (4-6 servings)

* 1 lb ground beef
* 1/4 onion, chopped
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce (I use a can)
* 1/2 jar salsa
* 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
* 1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans 1 can

* shredded cheddar cheese
* sour cream
* (brown) rice

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.
2. Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.
3. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and brown rice.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I've been waiting for this! I'll be making it with ground turkey and will let you know how it turns out :) It may need some extra punch on the spices since turkey has less flavor than beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, an update on my plans to make the chili... I made it and it was awesome!

    Here's what I changed up:
    -I doubled the recipe and used ground turkey meat.
    -Instead of buying salsa, I made my own homemade salsa with some help from my mom.
    -I added the full amount made from the salsa recipe to the chili, so it didn't need the tomato sauce.
    -It was a little watery though, so I added a 6 oz can of tomato paste.
    -I didn't need any chili seasoning mix because the salsa added tons of flavor... but I did add 2 Tb of chili powder (sounds like a lot, I know, but remember I doubled the chili recipe) and upped the garlic powder to 1 Tb.
    -My mom adds cornmeal to her chili for a thicker texture and I also love the little bit of corn flavor it gives, to I threw in about 1/2 cup of cornmeal.

    Fabulous idea to add salsa, Mon! I love it and will always make chili this way from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had come up with it. I would have posted the link to the recipe, but I don't remember where it came from (allrecipes maybe?)

    ReplyDelete