Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Super Salsa

I made this salsa to add to Monica's chili recipe... and as a result I'm 100% sure that 1) I'm never going to buy salsa again, and 2) whenever I make chili in the future, I will be adding this salsa to it. Both the salsa and the chili came out amazing! I'm definitely going to put up some of this salsa so it's on hand and ready to go.

Some notes about this salsa: it's got some heat and some tang to it... but isn't that what makes a salsa great?! Depending on what you're in the mood for, though, you can simply add more or less of whatever ingredient... just remember that with fresh chile peppers, the flavors do intensify a bit, especially in a cooked salsa like this one. (Salsa cruda, also called pico de gallo or salsa fresca, is a different animal in that you don't cook the salsa... I made a cooked salsa for Monica's chili recipe because I wanted the added sweetness and added depth of flavor to mellow out the heat from the chile peppers.)

I will definitely be experimenting with this recipe by trying other types of green chiles, and by adding corn, beans or other veggies...

Makes 3-4 cups of salsa

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs Roma tomatoes, blanched and chopped (You can use canned diced tomatoes)
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 jalapeƱos, seeded and diced
  • 2 sweet bell peppers (I used 1 orange and 1 red), seeded and diced
  • 2 green chilies (I used Anaheim chilies), seeded and diced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup roughly chopped parsley or cilantro (I used parsley since Mr. D is not a cilantro fan)
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
  • juice of 2+ limes
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
  1. If you are using fresh tomatoes, blanching them removes the skin, which I prefer when cooking them, otherwise the skins come off and there are loose bits of tomato skin everywhere. (To blanch: boil a pot of water, remove any stems and cut a shallow "x" onto the bottom of the tomatoes, prepare a bowl with ice water, place tomatoes into the boiling water until the skin starts to split, remove and place the tomatoes in the bowl of ice water for a few seconds, and then, finally, the tomato skin should slide right off.) Then chop up the tomatoes.
  2. Heat a large pan, add the tomatoes and about 1/2 cup of water. Cook tomatoes on med-high to soften, stirring occasionally. Use a masher or large spoon to break up the tomatoes a little bit so it looks like a very chunky sauce... this is the base for your salsa. Remove the tomatoes to a bowl.
  3. Wipe out the pan and heat the oil, add onions and saute 2 minutes (turning down the heat to med-low), add all the peppers and saute 4 minutes, and then add garlic and saute 2 minutes. Cooking time may vary, but the goal is to soften these ingredients and bring out the flavors without cooking them through or letting them brown.
  4. Add the tomatoes back into the pan with the pepper/onion mixture. Stir together and cook 2 more minutes.
  5. Add the parsley, chili powder and lime juice, stir and cook for another minute or two. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Remove from the heat and cool.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds really good! Did you come up with the recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup- I sort of when off of what I knew salsa looked like/what was in salsa, and bought a bunch of those ingredients. But my mom helped me with how much chiles to use. Good thing, otherwise I might have added way too many chiles! She's the first place I go when it comes to questions about cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! :) You're so good at this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww- Mon, thank you! It's due to the blessing of growing up with my awesome mom :) and there's so much I don't know and want to learn...
    I love this site because its gives me so many ideas and helps me keep track of the things I'm making, too... so keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete