Thursday, March 17, 2011

Betty Crocker 30-Minute Mini Meat Loaves


I'm sure this will make sense, but my appreciation of a recipe is mostly determined by how much Dave enjoys it. I also like things that are healthy and filling, but the fact that I can make my hubby happy is a bigger deal sometimes. So what happens on most days is that I eat a super healthy breakfast and lunch and that I'm willing to compromise on dinner. I've been trying to find recipes that are both healthy and that he likes, but that's not always easy because variety is also very important to me. Long story short, here's a dinner recipe that Dave loves and that I like too. Not super healthy, but pretty good. I'm sure you can change it by making any of your favorite/healthy meatloaf recipe instead of the mix that this recipe suggests.

Our favorite sides are mashed potatoes and cooked baby carrots, but last night we had it with whole wheat spaghetti and green-beans (which I got from the Asian food-center for a third of the price of beans at the grocery store. Thanks Annette for the ride! :) ).

Makes 6 servings, 2 mini-meatloaves each

1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (optional)

1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
1 egg

(Note: you can replace this with your favorite/gluten-free meat loaf recipe)


1. Heat oven to 450°F. If you're using brown sugar, in small bowl, stir ketchup and brown sugar until mixed; reserve 1/4 cup for topping. In large bowl, stir remaining ingredients and remaining ketchup mixture until well mixed.
2. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Place meat mixture in pan; pat into 12x4-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise down center and then crosswise into sixths to form 12 loaves. Separate loaves, using spatula, so no edges are touching. Brush loaves with reserved 1/4 cup ketchup mixture.
3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until loaves are no longer pink in center and meat thermometer inserted in center of loaves reads 160°F.

2 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! You are an artist too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carroll! ... but that's all Dave, he takes the pictures. I would never have that much patience (he usually takes about 20 and chooses one or two)

    ReplyDelete