Monday, March 21, 2011

Whole-Wheat Waffles



So everyone I know says they registered for a waffle iron for their wedding and it sits unused in a closet.  Now, I'm a waffle girl so that ain't gonna happen.  But most waffle recipes I've seen are (1) none too healthy and (2) far too involved for everyday.

Well this recipe (adapted from MoneySavingMom.com - a great site!)solves that, so pull out your waffle irons ladies! It uses all whole wheat flour, replaces some oil with applesauce and does not involves whipping egg whites until stiff but not dry...blah, blah, blah. I've always used Hodgson Mills stoneground 100% whole wheat; it has a slightly course texture which is awful in bread but really great and nutty tasting in pancakes and waffles.

Plus...here's the kicker...it's very easy to double, triple or quadruple, and then freeze the cooled waffles in ziploc bags to reheat in the microwave or toaster oven. GREAT for taking care of the hubs if he gets up early or if you're already at work or nursing, great for Sunday mornings when you can't cook breakfast because no one seems to be able to find their clothes, great for days you have early appointments...and healthy-ish too!

I've included the ingredient amounts at the very end for doubling, tripling and quadrupling the recipe. As I write this post my tripled batch is cooling on racks :)


(Makes 6-8 waffles.)

1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
2 eggs
1 3/4 C milk (or half milk, half water, if you're running low)
1/2 C oil or melted butter (or half oil, half applesauce or other fruit or veggie puree - great way to use up baby food that your kiddo is turning his nose up at!)
1 t vanilla

Whisk dry ingredients together well in a large bowl. Lightly beat together the wet ingredients in separate bowl then stir into dry mix just until moistened. Use a lightly oiled or well seasoned waffle iron to cook according to manufacturers directions.


Double
3 1/2 C whole wheat flour
4 T sugar
2 T baking powder
4 eggs
3 1/2 C milk (or half milk, half water)
1 C oil or melted butter (or half oil, half applesauce)
2 t vanilla

Triple
5 1/4 C whole wheat flour
6 T sugar
3 T baking powder
6 eggs
5 1/4 C milk (or half milk, half water)
1 1/2 C oil or melted butter (or half oil, half applesauce)
3 t vanilla

Quadruple
7 C whole wheat flour
8 T sugar
4 T baking powder
8 eggs
7 C milk (or half milk, half water)
2 C oil or melted butter (or half oil, half applesauce)
4 t vanilla

8 comments:

  1. Katie! I love your introduction! I am one of those who got a waffle iron and it just sits unused! Thank you! Also, I never knew you could use baby food, fruit puree, half milk, half water, etc. Thanks so much for those tips! It's like a whole new world. Also, thanks for the doubling and tripling measurements. That really helps. Can't wait to have more of your recipes in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I keep forgetting I have it- no space in my kitchen for those extra appliances! Great idea for freezing ahead, too.

    I'm getting the waffle iron out- thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make waffles pretty regularly - yum! I feel like I can never get the consistency I would like: soft on the inside, crispy&melt-in-your-mouth on the outside like the waffles I once had in Europe a long time ago. They actually had some kind of very thin sugar glaze on the outside.. does any of you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... one thought is that the waffle iron might not be hot enough..? or maybe its the recipes themselves..? (What do your waffles end up like..?)

    And that sugar glaze sounds great! Was it like a clear glaze (like crispy-cream or dunkin' donut's plain glazed donuts) or was it a granulated/powdered sugar sprinkled on top?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had another yummy idea- Savory Waffles! Could use them as the bread for a super yummy sandwich... cheese and grated veggies (like onion, zucchini, etc) added to the batter; sandwich some sliced ham, mustard and fresh greens between the waffles... and lunch is served! Yum- I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well.. we have the kind of waffle iron where certain lights turn on when it's ready, etc so if it is the temperature, I can't do anything about it :(. The waffles I know and am trying to make are a little different than the classical american waffles.

    But anyway, about the glaze: it's basically invisible. It's almost like the outside is crispy and sweet. My guess was that they put sugar in the waffle iron before they put the batter in, so that the sugar melts and only coats the waffles. I'm not sure if that would work (I'll try it sometime and let you all know lol).

    Another possibility would be to have the batter sweetened with relatively coarse sugar, which would create the sweet crust on the outside. On the other hand, it might not have enough time to melt on the inside.. lol. OK, I give up. I might try this recipe sometime to see if it gets close: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Belgian-Waffles/Detail.aspx - made w/ yeast!

    Sorry, Katie, i moved so far from your nice and healthy version! I'll definitely try yours soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also found this website with recipes for belgian waffles (if you're willing to covert grams to cups and tablespoons :) ). Apparently there's all kinds of belgian waffles, lol

    http://www.europeancuisines.com/Belgium-Belgian-Waffle-Recipes-Liege-Waffles-Brussels-Waffles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carroll - you're sweet :) I had heard of the idea, but had never used fruit puree as a substitute for oil before this recipe - and I love it!

    Monica - I also have one of the automated ones with lights on the top, but sometimes I forget to take the waffles off right away or watch for the lights and they keep cooking - so maybe try leaving them on 30 - 60 - 90 seconds after the light turns off and see if it changes the texture more to your liking? Also - when you figure out those sugar glazed waffles, let me know. I'll be at your house at 8 am sharp for breakfast ;p

    Annette - Wow!! I am totally psyched to try the savory waffle idea! And the sandwich - genius!

    Hope all you girls find yourselves using those waffles irons now!!

    ReplyDelete