Thursday, March 10, 2011

Vegan Banana Oatmeal Cookies




This recipe is from http://www.food.com/, but a friend of mine made it one day, and I highly recommend it!! The banana made the cookies stick together really well, and they were really moist and chewy days after baking. My friend substituted butter for 1/3c oil, which makes it not vegan, but still REALLY good!

Ingredients:


1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil, plus
1 teaspoon oil 
1 banana, mashed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour 
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups oats
3 tablespoons water

Directions:


1. Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the brown sugar, sugar, oil, and water.
3. Add the banana and vanilla.
4. Stir in the flour mixture. mix well.
5. Stir in the oats.
6. If the mixture seems too thin, let it sit for a minute so the oats can absorb some of the excess liquid.
7. Preheat oven to 350°F.
8. Drop cookies by the tablespoon onto a greased cookie sheet.
9. Cook for 13 minutes until done (they should be a bit browned on the bottom).

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Al :) Welcome!
    I'm excited to try them- oh! maybe with a whole wheat flour and chocolate chips..?!
    How many will this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole wheat flour and choc chips sounds like a brilliant idea! But don't forget about what Linda said about making sure there's enough gluten :). I'm not sure what that means, but I know you've probably already figured it out, beause you're a GENIUS!

    Allie, I know this is offtopic, but i LOVE the plate!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm NOT! Sometimes my experiments in the kitchen go horribly wrong! (Just ask Mr. D about my cumin-stew-fiasco!)

    Was thinking that if I use w.w.flour I might add egg to increase binding (theres less binding with w.w.flour) and/or increase the baking soda/oil a tad for leavening/increasing the rise.... I like that they are sort of chewy looking and want to keep that. Or I could just keep *some* of the reg. flour and replace most of it with w.w.flour. What do you think..?

    I'll post what I did and how it turns out when I make them... even if they turn out horrible, so we can all learn what NOT to do... lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't think that they can come out bad (that would be very hard I think). I really have no idea what to do to replace the whole amount of flour with ww but please let me know if you figure it out. I'm very interested!

    And yeah, I'll call Mike later, lol. J/K!

    ReplyDelete